Tuesday, April 15, 2008

James Baxter's Titan

This was a highly speculative book about possible manned space flight to Titan, one of Saturn's moon. It was written just after the launch of the Cassini probe. It was a little tedious for me, mainly because the technical details and acronyms were just over my head. I thought it was a very realistic description of the effects on the crew of enduring such a long flight (bone loss, isolation). I should have just gone straight to Time Ships instead and I should just stick to Marc Andreesen's list of 10 best SF writers.

Incidentally, this was the second book in a row (coming after X President) that speculated about a possible US-China war. Coming on the heels of the Olympic protests against China, I wonder about the odds in the future. These events are sure to leave a bitter feeling in the Chinese against the West in general.

No comments: