Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Recent William Gibson

For me anyway - it's been a long time since Mona Lisa Overdrive and Neuromancer. Pattern Recognition and Spook Country aren't science fiction although for some reason the library has put these books in the science fiction section. (I find the same thing for some of Kim Stanley Robinson's books - he's written some science fiction but there are some that are "alternative histories" that I would not classify as science fiction.)

Liked Pattern Recognition more than Spook Country which I thought seemed to drag or perhaps it was my attitude that week. I had forgotten how Gibson writes - almost minimalist is the only word that comes to mind. Not quite dry nor monotonously overly-narrative but simple and to the point. I'm still not quite sure what to make of the style.

No comments: