Thursday, June 17, 2010

What I've been reading

1. Anita Shreve's Light on Snow. I enjoyed this one perhaps because I was starting to get tired of the theme of adultery and betrayal which I think she has exhausted. This and Eden Close are a good antidote to those themes and still able to enjoy her writing.

2. A Hole in Texas by Herman Wouk. Not quite as hefty as his books used to be but enjoyable and amusing.

3. Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Act. This was was tedious. There are only that many ways to describe a mother's love for a child before it starts getting old. I think I've O.D.ed on Picoult for the rest of the year.

4. White People by Allan Gurganus. I wasn't sure what to expect so I was surprised that I liked most of the stories in this collection. Some were harder to read than I expected not because of the writing but because of the content - some of it can only be described as raw. One story, "Adult Art" was uncomfortable for me as it describes the attraction an older man felt for a younger man.

No comments: