Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chief Inspector of Holes

I read Ted Hughes' My Father to K2's Pre-K class the other day. I remembered reading this when I was 12 or 13. When you're an adolescent everything with the word "holes" is hilarious. It didn't go down very well with the younger kids although it would probably would worked better in K1's third grade class. They're studying poetry. Just for fun here are a few lines:

Some fathers work at the office, others work at the store,
Some operate great cranes and build skyscrapers galore,
Some work in canning factories counting green peas into cans,
Some drive all night in huge and thundering removal vans.

But mine has the stranges job of the lot,
My father's the Chief Inspector of - What?
O don't tell the mice, don't tell the moles,
My father's the Chief Inspector of HOLES.

This is from Collected Poems for Children by Ted Hughes with illustrations by Raymond Briggs, Farrar, Strauss and Giroux (2005).

No comments: