Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wintry mix

We got the dreaded wintry mix of freezing rain and ice overnight. Though not as bad as in 1999 when M went into labor with K1 I was reminded of it when I went outside and our driveway (with its approx 30 degree slope) was ice covered. However, it sounds like West Virginia was badly hit. Washington has been in the wintry mix line for the past few years now and it may well be a long term trend given the fact that we are in the midst of climate change.

On the plus side it is days like this that I am glad we widened our driveway enough to give us more negotiating room to shovel and deice the driveway and cars. It was an expensive project (at least more than I had wanted to pay initially) but well worth it.

I think the last time we got snowed in and the federal government shut down was in 2003 (or was it 2000?). In any case the Capital Weather Gang recounts some snowstorms in DC here and here.

No comments: